Posted on January 12th, 2018 in Wireless Broadband
Last week, we talked about how severe weather can affect and slow down your internet connection. That is only one component in a long list of deterrents that slow down internet connections. This week, our team has decided to expand upon that topic, making all internet users aware of what might be the cause of their slow connection.
Below is a list of common reasons that the SWG, Inc. team has compiled to figure out what might be the cause to your slow internet connection woes (keep in mind, most of these reasons may not be Wi-Fi related):
- Computer Age: This might seem fairly obvious, but an old device might be the reason your internet connection isn’t moving as fast as you want it to be. Even a stable and high-speed internet connection cannot defeat an aging computer. A solution to this problem might be adding memory to your device, but it may ultimately be time for an upgrade.
- Obstructions: Our severe weather article from last week falls under this category, but there can be other physical obstructions aside from the weather being the cause of your slow internet connection. These can include your neighbor’s Wi-Fi signal (we are serious), household electronics, poorly shielded cabling, and building materials.
- Viruses or Malware: You should always keep up to date on running scans for viruses or malware on your device. Your internet speed can be disrupted because viruses and malware corrupt operating system files which will use your computer’s memory.
- Website Location: If you are trying to access a website that’s hosted from an entirely different part of the globe compared to your location, it will be much slower than a site hosted relatively near you.
- Network Maintenance: This deterrent is more of an obvious issue as well. If your service provider or website host is performing maintenance on their network, the speed of the website will slow down or not even appear.
- Internet Service Provider (ISP) being attacked: When you or your ISP is overwhelmed with an abnormally high number of requests, your connection can suffer. Issues like this are caused by computers that are infected with worms (destructive self-replicating programs containing code capable of accessing networks).
- Using the wrong Wi-Fi Network: And if any of those don’t seem like the culprit behind your slow internet connection, then maybe you need to switch service providers to someone more reliable, like our friends at Xvergent Networks. If you are a resident of Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties in Northeastern Pennsylvania, give them a call!
We know this wasn’t a complete list of reasons, but we hope you have an understanding of what might be causing your internet connection to slow down or time out. Also, make sure you are using the best wireless equipment to get the most out of your signal.
At SWG, Inc., we pride ourselves on having the best wireless gear to offer to our customers. If you have questions or are looking to give your internet connection a boost, contact a member of our team today.